Legal Department Operations (LDO) Index 2021 (Sixth Edition): The risk of being left behind
Legal operations sophistication increasingly a differentiator
The new global report, Legal Department Operations (LDO) Index 2021, published by the Thomson Reuters Institute, examines the changing landscape in the corporate legal field. The data for this report includes real-world legal spend analytics from Thomson Reuters Legal Tracker, with historical data including more than 1,500 corporate legal departments, and a June 2021 Thomson Reuters survey to which 100 legal departments responded.
Corporate lawyers and legal operations professionals reported on their spend management plans and sophistication, department priorities and maturity of their legal operations, and their staffing and diversity plans. The report also provides a listing of the most commonly used metrics for law department operations and best practices used by leading organizations.
Selected insights from the 2021 LDO Index:
- 82% of legal departments now identify their spend management sophistication as proactive, optimized, or predictive
- 52% of legal departments increased their use of legal technology in the past year.
- 9 technologies (up from 6 in 2018) are used by more than half of departments surveyed
- 58% of departments are collecting diversity information from outside firms
- Large companies drove significant decreases in timekeeper rates at the same time law firms overall generally increased rates
By using any Thomson Reuters or its related bodies corporate (TR) website, application, including mobile application ("app"), product, software or service or, otherwise, providing us with any of your (or any other person’s) personal information you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with (and agree to the terms of) our Privacy Statement (which can also be found at https://www.thomsonreuters.com/en/privacy-statement.html or we will provide you with a copy of our Privacy Statement if you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request a copy). Do not proceed to use any of our websites, products or services or provide any personal information to us if you do not consent/agree to our Privacy Statement.